Prior to our winter break I was introduced to Air Server. Wow! What I am finding out is how easy it is to use as well as how my students are also benefiting from this neat, wireless tool! What is so amazing is that I can now and my students can remotely access our Smartboard through an iPad. What an inspirational tool that helps me and my students think, interact and reflect with our ideas.
Now every time I have a new app to share, I can do this remotely! I can be anywhere in my classroom. The value of this is now I can be flexible about where I am and also my students can easily interact with the SMARTboard, but are also able to remotely share their observations as well about what we are exploring.
For example; During our “Number Corner” time the children use iPads to create patterns, write numbers that come before, after and count using iPads. Now the leader of the day is able to use their iPad remotely. So what this means is that the leader displays the number patterns, numbers, etc. and others create what is being asked on their iPad and then they “check in”. When my students “check in” they are checking their understanding with what the leader of the day is sharing. This is a wonderful way for all children to be empowered by using a technology that helps others reflect on their own thinking.
So this is what I notice(keep in mind that I have only had 3 days with this tool)
1. My students are able to make decisions about where they are, physically in the classroom when sharing and checking their understanding. This encourages all learners to facilitate what they understand.
2. I notice how excited and engaged my students are about what we are exploring. This is contagious with all learners in kindergarten.
3. I see how easily my students can begin to take on leadership roles about what they want to share. A great self esteem experience for all my students.
4. Air Server seems to be a pathway for me, my students and others to connect and collaborate with in regards to what we are learning.
5. The access of what I have on my ipad is available for everyone and everyone has an opportunity to investigate the possibilities of the apps we use.
6. My students take risks with making observations and connections about their understanding.
7. What another great way to help promote the idea of being a safe, kind and responsible digital citizen.
8. I already noticed how a couple of my students began to problem solve “how to” get back on line, when Air Server delayed. Really! Just the idea of looking for a way to problem solve a problem in a collaborative way. Critical thinking happening here for sure!
I look forward to blogging more about Air Serve. I have only used this tool for 3 days! Looking forward to discovering more using Skype and other tools that enhance learning opportunities for my students.